We are blessed with an open fire in our living room here, and we light it once or twice a week in the winter. Trying to light it the other week I put a candle stub in there, and the fire caught fantastically well. This is, of course, an old trick that our great-grandmothers use to use (coincidentally two days later I read about this in a history book), but most of us have forgotten about it. It works really well, it is very cheap (well, free really since we’re using bits of candle we couldn’t have used otherwise), and it cuts down on waste. The end bits of birthday cake candles can also be used!